Saturday, April 16, 2011

Disciplined in Service

My fiancee (for only 21 more days) and I have been talking a lot about discipline in our lives lately. We have had very full schedules with school, work, housing, wedding & job searching being just a few of the things that take up our days. We have noticed that we tend to lack discipline in certain areas. However today for just a moment I was really made aware of just how disciplined in service Andrea is.


Today I stopped in at her place of employment, Panera Bread, to work on talk I am giving for a job interview this Wednesday. She sat down with me on her lunch break to chat and enjoy some company. Let me tell you this is some what of a rare thing for her at Panera. Andrea will regularly forfeit her 30 minute break if work is busy or she knows someone else needs a break, so when she sits down for a lunch break I think she really is entitled to 30 minutes of uninterrupted time from work. 


As we were talking about our weekend & the usual wedding stuff she overheard a couple of customers talking about how the man had ordered the wrong sandwich for his significant other. Before I had given it much thought, Andrea stopped eating, got up from her seat & said, "Let me take care of that for you. We can switch your sandwich right away." I think the customers were some what surprised but were definitely grateful for her willingness to fix their error.


Discipline is one of those things that when you ask God for it he really isn't going to give it to you. What he is going to do is give you opportunities to practice it. I know Andrea has regularly been asking God to give her a servant's heart. I am excited to see that her diligence and prayer for it are paying off. My guess is that she didn't even think twice about it and most likely her response to it would be, "It's just part of my job."


Where are you being disciplined today? Are you taking advantage of small opportunities to go the extra mile for someone? Don't worry if they don't recognize it but know that God does, and it is not in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment